Is your life busy? Do you ever feel like downing tools, pressing the Stop button and screaming “No. I have had enough…”
As a busy mum, three active teen daughters and running my own business I certainly do. And as my girls will tell you, I frequently shout and lose my calm…My daughters will look at each other and say “you’re stressed, calm down, rest and take a deep breath mum…”
Do you ever feel like this?
Thankful, over the years in addition to the “screaming and shouting moments” I have learnt a few more effective yoga and relaxation techniques to quickly calm me down, recharge my batteries and nurture myself!
I would like to share five of these techniques with you.
How Do You Cope With It All?
How do you cope?
How do you manage to remain calm and centred at the end of the day? Are you calm and centred or is your life full of pressures and demands from your kids, partner and work?
How often during your day do you hear the words “mum, can I …..” or “mum, do you know where my…. is?” Have you lost count of the amount of times you have argued with your partner/children about whose turn it is to load the dish-washer or to wash-up and put the dishes away?
Have you ever thought, ‘I wonder what it would be like to close shop for a day, to sit back and just relax? To have someone else cook, clean and shop for you – just for a few days whilst you spend some time alone, maybe with your girlfriends to rest, get your strength and energy back.
As a busy mum, it is hard for you to find time to care for yourself.
Family commitments and social obligations tend to be your first priority. If you work outside the home, or run a business, then life requires even more juggling and adapting to meet the demands of growing and maintaining your business. Making time for you – to have a spot of Me-Time seems like a luxury.
How Often Do You Have “Me-Time”?
Well, believe it or not, given the multitude of things you do, it is
essential you find time during your day to care for and nurture yourself.
If you keep on reacting to everyone else’s schedule and neglecting yourself, changes are by the end of the day you are ratty, snappy and grumpy…and definitely not in the mood for a romantic interlude with your partner! All you want to do is eat shower and go to bed.
Have You Lost Your Mo-Jo?
That is no way to live. Talking with my yoga students it is clear life can get you down. I know you are naturally a vibrant, cheerful woman, yet somehow life has got to you. I bet you used to gain a lot of satisfaction from work, now it just feels a chore and another thing to think about. You love your family and being a mother – but right about now,does it all feels too much for you?
If this sounds like you, don’t’ worry. It is possible to bring relaxation and calm into your day-to-day life without losing your rag and sending your family to Coventry!
Stress Relief Is Here – You Are Not Alone
Take a few minutes to sit down and read the following five fun tips.
They are short and sweet and designed to support you reclaim your sense of ease, joy and beauty in being you.
Five Quick Ways To Relax And Reclaim Rest and Relaxation
1. Rest your eyes. Your eyes are unique and eye care is often neglected. Rub your palms vigorously together. When you feel the heat and friction build up, gently close your eyes and place your cupped palms over your eyes. Stay still and take 5-7 rounds of slow deep breathing. Make sure your shoulders are lowered and jaw is relaxed as you breathe in and out through your nose. Slowly lower your hands to your lap. Stay still for a few more moments before gradually opening your eyes.
2. Play music. Classical, rock, R & B or good ole country music. Whatever style of music relaxes and turns you on, play it, dance, jump around, grab a hairbrush and sing along. Feel the joy and sense of freedom as you reconnect with your inner heart song. If the kids are around, let them join in. Keep it light and enjoy the moment.
3. Learn to trust your intuition. Stress happens when you do too much. You fail to listen to your body. You ignore aches and pains and just carry on. You don’t take time to relax rest and recharge your batteries – you are overwhelmed, frazzled and stressed-out. Learning to say no, to stop and trust your intuition often prevents you agreeing to do something which in the long run is detrimental to your health and well being. If you find it hard to say no, place you feet firmly on the ground, rest your hand on your navel area, take a deep steady breath in and as you breathe out, remind yourself how special and unique you are and that you deserve the right to “rest.”
4. Relax your body. Lie down in a quiet and if possible darkened room. Slowly tense and relax first your legs, then your arms, your buttocks, stretch your shoulders up to your ears, close your eyes, scrunch up and relax your face. Take a deep breath in and slowly breathe out. Try and lay still for at least 10 minutes before getting up and reengaging with your day.
5. Give yourself a big bear hug. You deserve it. Hug yourself deeply. Squeeze your arms around your chest. As you hug yourself, smile and be happy for being the magical woman you are. Spend a few minutes sitting quietly, smiling to yourself and feeling glad to be you. Recall pleasant, happy thoughts as you hug and smile.
So, my dear…next time you feel the frustration, weariness and exhaustion building up in you, stop, pause and remember you can change your energy, regain your sense of calm – just by stopping and taking a few moments to rest and nurture your soul.
And next time you feel frazzled, frumpy and grumpy; take a few minutes to rest and recharge your batteries by practicing any of the five quick tips above. You will feel refreshed, calm and revitalised; more able to give your best to friends, family and at work.
I would love to know how you feel when you try out these exercises. Write your thoughts in the comment box below. And if you wish to receive more fresh yoga self care tips delivered straight to your email box, pop over to the top right hand corner of this page and subscribe to my weekly newsletter YogaInspires You. I look forward to sharing more updates with you. Thank You
Image -thank you Joshjanssen
Worried. Overwhelmed. Exhausted.
Ready to Finally Get A Handle on Stress?
Download the FREE 5-minute Slash Stress Slay Your Day video training and start to feel stronger, calmer, refreshed, and alert.