Welcome to my site and thanks for visiting. If you are new you can subscribe to my free YogaInspiresYou enewsletter for more yoga updates and tips for healthier lifestyle.
Can you believe it, we are over half way through January. Where has the time flown? How are you feeling and how are your health and self care practices going? Are you still keen and motivated to eat well and exercise more? Or have you noticed bad eating habits slipping in?
Do You Still Feel Sluggish From Christmas OverEat?
If you are feeling sluggish, bloated and tired then have you thought of going on a detox? If you have never been on a detox, or thinking of going on one, then you are in for a treat. The next few posts will focus on the benefits of going on a detox and look at foods to avoid and things you can do to have an enjoyable experience.
If you feel slightly off key and looking for a kick-start to get back on track, have you thought of going on a detox! No way. I hear you say.. I can’t go all day without food. Yet contrary to popular belief, a detox isn’t “going without food”. In fact a detox, is an ideal way for you to eat well, rejuvenate and re-balance your body and take extra care of yourself.
What Is A Detox?
From a yogic perspective, the purpose of a detox is to give your body a chance to rest, re-balance and cleanse. A detox forms part of your self-care and looking after you programme. With all the roles you juggle, you need all the tools and strategies available to keep the show on the road!
What happens When You Detox?
When you detox you give your vital organs and digestive system a chance to rest and rejuvenate as you gently remove toxins from your body, and in the process, cleanse your mind. If you “issues” with your relationship with food and maybe comfort eat or snack and eat on the go, then a day’s detox gives you space to pause, reflect and gain insight into other ways to feed your core.
A Detox Is Part Of Your Yogic Lifestyle
As a busy working woman and yoga student, a regular detox forms parts of your intention to live a healthy and more holistic lifestyle. No matter how much yoga and pranayama you practice, environmental toxins and bacteria still enter your body. On a detox, the break from your usual diet helps to re-balance your energy and leave you feeling feel lighter, clearer and more energised. During a detox, your mind and body gets a chance to relax and release the build up of harmful toxins, bacteria and parasites stored in your body organs and fat tissues.
Here are seven benefits when you detox
1. Every day, you are bombarded with chemicals, toxins, bacteria. A detox is simply a way of giving your body a chance to rest, to cleanse and revitalise. Think of your body as a motor car. Every year you service your car and regularly make sure it runs well. A detox is simply giving your body a mini service.
2. A detox allows you to realign and rebalance your body and calm and clear your mind. As you cleanse and eliminate the toxins, even for one day, your mind becomes clearer and you gain valuable insight into how you relate to your everyday problems.
3. When you detox you take time out of your every day schedule to look at yourself and way you function in the world. Your outer world is a reflection of your inner journey. Therefore the cleaner and clearer your inner world is, the greater clarity you will have in your external, outer world. Combined with prayer and meditation, a detox helps shift stuff on an inner and outer level.
4. During a detox you gain a deeper understanding of the way you relate to food, and how food affects your moods. You may experience withdrawal symptoms, headaches, bad breath, this is just your body readjusting to the changes you are going through, and the way your body respond to these sensations gives you an indication of how “attached” you are to the foods you eat.
5. A detox allows your body and mind to rest and refocuses on how you feel, how you can feel better and introduce you to different ways of caring for yourself.
6. The foods you eat and practices you follow whilst on a detox help to revitalise and strengthen your immune system. For instance, fresh fruits, especially grapes, water melon give your body a cleanse and a boost of energy.
7. On a detox you drink more water and/or herbal teas. This helps to hydrate your body and mind and speeds up the elimination process.
As you can see there are many benefits to be gained from going on a detox. Your immune system is cleansed, strengthen and you feel more alive, vibrant and look healthier.
If you have never detox before, it is important you prepare yourself physically and emotionally to have an enjoyable experience. In the next post we will look at the seven factors you need to consider before you start your detox. Sign up to my RSS Feed to receive this post as soon as it is posted. In the meantime, have you ever been on a detox? I’d love to hear your thoughts, fears and concerns you may have about detoxing.
Share your thoughts in the comment box below and remember to share the Twitter Love:) Together we will have a healthier and happier 2012.
Take care and thank you.
Image, thank you – Pink Sherbet Photography, flickrr
100 Days of Guided Meditations
Worried. Overwhelmed. Exhausted.
Ready to Finally Get A Handle on Stress?
Download the FREE 5-minute Slash Stress Slay Your Day video training and start to feel stronger, calmer, refreshed, and alert.