This post is part 3 of our 5-part Get More Energy blog series and discusses the #1 reason you are so tired all the time.
So, now that you understand why yoga and meditation are the best ways to reduce stress, help you feel less tired, and boost your energy, you might be wondering what the underlying reason for your tiredness and lack of energy is?
As you will learn in this post, the underlying reason for your tiredness is often overlooked, yet until we address the core reason why you are tired and exhausted then all your efforts to strengthen your immune system, boost your energy and get better are undermined.
Modern science has proved what the ancient yogis knew.
We are made up of an electromagnetic field of energy. Everything you experience in life affects your vitality and energy levels – and either drains you and creates stress or energises you and fills you up.
Before we go into detail and explore the core reason for your tiredness, let’s recap what we have covered so far in the 5-part Get More Energy blog series.
Quick recap: So far in the Get More Energy series
Get More Energy is a 5-part series of in-depth blog posts designed to help you discover how easy yoga poses, breathing exercises and meditation techniques can help you relax, be healthier and have more energy so that you can do the things you love with ease.
So far, in blog post 1 and blog 2 and your bonus blog3 of the Get More Energy series, you
- Learnt that being tired and fatigued is a common problem faced by many women
- Explored why busy people turn to yoga and meditation as a way to overcome feeling fatigued and get more energy
- Discovered that most of my yoga students use yoga as a form of rejuvenation and enjoy their weekly yoga classes, especially their private yoga lessons
- Looked at seven popular reasons why people start yoga
- Understood the top benefits of yoga
- Unearthed the historical roots of yoga
- Discussed what is yoga
- Found out more about the spiritual and philosophical side of yoga
- Explored the different styles of yoga and what style suits you best
- Looked at the five most popular mistakes yoga beginners make
- and a special bonus blog where you:
- Learnt more about the nine meditation mistakes you need to avoid to boost your energy.
Where Did The Idea For The Get More Energy Series Come From:
The idea for the Get More Energy series came about from general chats with my friends and conversations with my yoga students.
Feeling tired all the time, struggling to get up and go and having no energy to do fun things with their family seem to affect everyone.
So, to find out more, I held in-depth conversations with members of the Yoga Inspires Facebook community,
So far, these conversations reveal:
- most women want to do more with their life,
- They are worried about the effects of sitting down all day, not moving their body and feeling tired all the time.
- They want to be healthier and have more energy,
- Feel exhausted from working and rushing around looking after their family;
- They do not have the time – or energy- to care for themselves,
- There is a sense of fear that life is passing them by and
- They want to make the most of their time with loved ones.
Tiredness, lack of energy, and feeling rushed and busy all the time where reasons why most women felt they weren’t able to do the things they really wanted to do. Feeling stuck, desiring change and unsure how to change things around is affecting you emotionally, mentally, and physically.
My prayer is that the Get More Energy 5-part blog series will:
- encourage and support you to close the gap between your current stressful, overworked life and your dream of living a calm, peaceful and vibrant life
- provide helpful advice on how to bring easy yoga practices and meditation techniques into your day-to-day lifestyle
- learn easy ways to instantly relax, clear your mind, and energise your body – without needing a yoga mat or retreat in a cave for six months!
- Remember if you are keen to get going and ready to boost your energy and feel less tired, click here to get my gift seven simple stretches to make your energy soar.
Now that we have recapped blog post #1, #2 and the bonus blog, let’s continue with blog post #3, the #1 reason why you are so tired all the time.
Most people are tired all the time due to lifestyle choices and one of these medical reasons
Chronic fatigue syndrome
These are the medical conditions and symptoms why you say you feel tired all the time. Nevertheless, lifestyle habits and medical conditions are often a symptom of something else that is going on within the body.
The #1 reason why you feel stressed, anxious and exhausted can be traced to:
- the tone and function of your vagus nerve, and
- the structure, function and relationship between the two branches of the autonomic nervous system – the sympathetic nervous system and the parasympathetic nervous system.
What Is the Vagus Nerve?
The vagus nerve is the tenth cranial nerve of the body and is the longest and most complex of the cranial nerves.
It is known as the “wandering nerve” as it connects our brain stem to our body and stretches from the brain through the abdomen.
It runs from the brain through the muscles in the neck, through the heart, and to the abdomen. Thus it affects the major organs and systems of the body, including the heart, digestive and respiratory system.
The vagus nerve forms the branch of the parasympathetic nervous system which is responsible for the rest and digest systems of the body, which helps you to feel rested and energised. The other branch of the central nervous system, the sympathetic nervous system, affects our response to stress, commonly known as the flight or fight response.
How Does the Vagus Nerve Impact Your Health and Wellbeing?
Watch this video which gives a clear explanation of the anatomy of the vagus nerve system, and provides effective practices to stimulate and improve the quality, tone of the vagus nerve so that you feel less stressed, healthier and happier.
By playing the above video, you consent to YouTube collecting data about you.
And then watch this video, How to Hack the Parasympathetic State for a brilliant account of how stress impacts your health and how stimulating the vagus nerve is key to rebooting and healing the body. It’s a delightful video and only 18 minutes long.
Long-term Effects of Stress
Given the fast and complex demanding pace of daily living daily stress is part of our ‘natural environment.’
However, it is how you react or respond to stress that impacts your health and wellness.
Hans Selye pioneer stress researcher defined stress as “the non-specific response of the body to any demand made upon it.” The demand, called a “stressor” is neither negative or positive – it just requires a response.
Many health conditions, such as blood pressure, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis and even depression and panic attacks are considered stress-related conditions.
What Happens When You Ignore The Signs & Symptoms Of Stress?
If you continue to ignore the signs of exhaustion and stress and do not allow your body time or space to rest, relax and repair the body is not able to meet the heavy demands placed on it.
To regain your sense of vitality, energy and zest for life, it is vital you repair your parasympathetic nervous system.
In this informative video, Parasympathetic Repair by Steven Fowkes, gives an excellent overview of the issues covered in this post and ways you can address the cause of your tiredness and repair your parasympathetic nervous system.
Now that you know the root cause of your tiredness, and you are keen to regain control of your life, you might be wondering what can you do to turn things around.
Fortunately in the next blog post in this 5-part Get More Energy blog series, we discuss
- simple self-care tips 13 popular bloggers use to rest and restore their parasympathetic nervous system, and in the final article we explore
- 3o easy yoga and meditation techniques to help you remove stress from home and at work, so that you can take amazing care of your body, without struggle or stress or needing a yoga mat or sitting in a cave!
I know I am! Learning yoga and how to meditate has helped to turn my life around, and given me the strength, faith and focus to make positive shifts and pivots in my life, and I want the same for you.
And, I am sure you have your reasons why people feel tired all the time. Do share your thoughts and let us know.
And now that you feel all keyed up and excited at the possibility of naturally boosting your energy and feeling less tired, download my free video, 7 simple stretches to regain your energy You’ll be surprised how easy it is to do these yoga poses and how energised you’ll feel.
100 Days of Guided Meditations
Worried. Overwhelmed. Exhausted.
Ready to Finally Get A Handle on Stress?
Download the FREE 5-minute Slash Stress Slay Your Day video training and start to feel stronger, calmer, refreshed, and alert.